So after writing up my favorite films of 2014, I thought I’d make a list of the films I’m most excited for this year.
Top Ten Most Anticipated Films of 2015
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens. By far, the film I’m most excited for, no question. The trailer was fantastic, and I love how JJ Abrams captured the look of the original trilogy, while it’s still recognizably Abrams. Cannot wait.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not much needs to be said. I loved the first Avengers (and most of Marvel’s films overall), it’s Joss Whedon again, and the trailer was one of the best trailers I’ve seen.
- American Sniper. This just looks very emotionally powerful. I’ve loved the trailers I’ve seen, and it’s Clint Eastwood. I’m hoping it becomes the next Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down.
- The Hateful Eight. Quentin Tarantino. Another Western. What more needs to be said?
- The Martian. I can only be (cautiously) hopeful for this film. It’s got Ridley Scott (who, while maybe not directing as great of things recently, has directed masterpieces like Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Alien, etc.); Jessica Chastain, Sebastian Stan, Sean Bean, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Matt Damon, and others as the cast; and Drew Goddard writing. Plus, the novel sounds amazing, and is the #1 most anticipated book for me to read in 2015—I ordered it from B&N a little while ago, and just can’t wait (which will of course also affect my anticipation of the film, depending on how much I like it).
- Untitled Cold War Thriller by Steven Spielberg. Spielberg and Hanks team up again for a Cold War spy thriller? Count me in.
- Jurassic World. This could be amazing. Or it could be less so. But I’m hoping it’s amazing, and I enjoyed the trailer (though I wish there was less CGI).
- Crimson Peak. I mean, it’s Guillermo del Toro. And Tom Hiddleston/Jessica Chastain. Not a huge horror person, but this looks really good.
- Ant-Man. It’s Marvel. They’ve proven themselves, and while this had a few missteps (losing Edgar Wright, etc.), I’m still excited for it.
- Mad Max: Fury Road. Before the trailer, this wouldn’t’ve been on my list at all, even as an honorable mention. But that trailer blew me away, and this just looks epic. Plus, I love Tom Hardy.
Honorable Mentions (no particular order):
- Silence, by Martin Scorsese (this would probably be much higher on the list if there were a trailer or anything, but since it’s Scorsese, it should be good);
- Spectre, by Sam Mendes (honestly the thing that I’m most excited about for this is that it has Andrew Scott);
- Tomorrowland, by Brad Bird (trailer was great, and I’m a fan of Bird);
- Inside Out, by Pete Doctor (hey, it’s Pixar, and the trailers look good–I’m also a little excited for their dinosaur film);
- Kingsman: Secret Service, by Matthew Vaughn (the trailers have me sold on this, plus Vaughn is a good director);
- The Walk, by Robert Zemeckis (trailer was pretty good, Zemeckis+Gordon-Levitt…);
- Chappie, by Neill Blomkamp;
- Pan, by Joe Wright (besides Hugh Jackman, probably the reason I want to see this most is apparently the screenwriter is also going to write the upcoming Wonder Woman film, and I haven’t seen anything he’s written yet);
- Midnight Special, by Jeff Nichols (loved Mud);
- Fantastic Four, by Josh Trank (kind of? I’m just hoping it’s good);
- Mission: Impossible 5, by Christopher McQuarrie;
- Peanuts, by Steve Martino (just out of a small hope it’ll live up to some of the original strips/films);
- Mockingjay Part 2, by Francis Lawrence (I suppose. I need to see Part 1 first though);
- Jupiter Ascending, by The Wachowskis (tbh I’m not that excited for it, but there’s always the chance it could be just as good as the original Matrix);
- Terminator: Genisys, by Alan Taylor.
And there’s my top 25 picks. Anyone else excited for some of these?
(I think I’m actually more excited for 2016 haha…Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Civil War, Dr. Strange, Deadpool, probably a new Nolan film [as he’s been doing one every other year], a Star Wars standalone film, X-Men Apocalypse, A Monster Calls, Jungle Book: Origins, maybe the upcoming Sandman film…)